Hello and welcome to what should be the almost-halfway point of most of our weeks 😉 Gotta love 3-day weekends!
Mine was really fantastic. No recap post, but my really lovely Valentine’s day can be summed up in this lil collage I posted on Instagram:
We enjoyed EnjoyBy IPAs on Friday night, hiked 8 miles through Stevens Trail on Saturday afternoon, and indulged in a yummy dinner and champagne on Saturday night – complete with leftover bacon mac n’ cheese the next morning 😉
Aaaanyway, on to the real subject at hand:
The catch is, most weeks I claim to have zero time to prepare lunches. I work out in the morning, am busy after work at least 3x per week with clubs, sports, etc, and dining out every day is not in my budget.
Enter: meal prep.
I’m not so crazy anymore about prepping all my food on Sunday night, but I definitely wouldn’t be able to achieve a mostly-brought-from-home lunch regimen if I didn’t spend 30-60 minutes in the kitchen each week prepping some easily transportable food for lunches.
Back in August I set a goal of buying lunch only once per week, and it’s one goal I’ve actually been good at keeping ever since!
I used to link up more often with What I Ate Wednesday, and today I’m getting back on the bandwagon to share my lunchtime eats from the past month or so.
What I Ate Wednesday is about food and fun! It’s about making new friends, breaking out of a food rut, noting changes in your diet/lifestyle, inspiring yourself and others, embracing fruit and vegetables, nourishing your body with the foods that work for you, finding new ways to eat your favorite foods, and so. much. more. <3
On to the food… 🙂
A totally Pinterest-worthy salad that took <10 minutes to throw together the night before: mixed greens, black beans, red bell pepper, frozen corn (which thawed by morning), chia seeds, and a healthy shake of cumin. And I keep a jar of dressing in my office fridge 🙂
Aside from the (poorly photographed half eaten) pasta, apparently I’ve been on a low-carb kick. From the top:
- leftover Super Bowl crockpot chicken over zoodles & broccoli;
- spaghetti squash & zoodles with “chicken parmesan” sauce (aka tomato sauce with chicken haha) which was also leftovers;
- spaghetti squash and turkey meatballs…yup, you guessed it. Leftovers!
- veggie stuffed shells from Mom (!) with a side of frozen green beans
Clearly, I mostly survive on leftovers 😉
…Leftovers, and a lot of CHICKEN! Above, you see:
- salad with hummus-crusted chicken (you GOTTA try it!), bell peppers, olives, celery, hemp seeds and chia seeds
- Chile-Lime Chicken Burger from Trader Joe’s covered in broccoli, red bell paper, and a boatload of hot sauce
- roasted chicken breast (in a moment of desperation, I marinated it in the brine from my favorite olives…it was actually delicious!), quinoa, bell peppers, onion & garlic
There you have it! Katie lunches in a nutshell: protein and allll the veggies.
It kind of pains me that so many of these lunches were eaten at my desk. I’ve been trying to leave the office to walk with my coworkers when they go to get lunch – even if I’m not getting anything – but I could admittedly be better about getting up and moving throughout the day. Most days I only get 2,000-3,000 steps at the office, and most of them are from getting up and going to the kitchen or bathroom 😉
What’s your go to office lunch?
If you have a desk job, how do you keep moving throughout the day? My old job had a gym in the building so I worked out at lunch…I miss those days!